Sunday, November 9, 2008

RSS Feed

The past week I have been following RSS feeds from sources that contain information mostly about education, technology, and math. Using RSS has been a very time consuming activity for me. I don't check very many websites or blogs on a regular basis (besides my email) so I spent most of my time conducting searches and trying to find either searches or blogs that were worth subscribing to. Fortunately, I was able to find a few quality sites and I am looking forward to receiving their updates as they come. Although I did not hit it off with RSS right away, I think that Will Richardson's ideas on using RSS is the classroom have given me a starting point to start introducing RSS in my classroom. I especially like the idea that when students are conducting research, the research can come right to the student instead of the student searching a million sites!

The best feeds that I received were from Escobedo Tech Talk. On this site, the author has lots of ideas on enhancing your classroom blog. He also adds tech tips such as creating a traveling desktop and cell phone hacking. From his blog, I was able to add a playlist and cluster map to my blog. This is a current blog that was recently started on Sept. 15, 2008, so I am hoping that he will have recent, worthwhile information to share on technology in the classroom.

Another feed that I really enjoyed was Teaching Tips. This sites provides lists such as "50 Useful Blogging Tools for Teachers" and "100+ Resources for Teaching Without Textbooks." I especially like that the ideas on lists like these can be implemented in the classroom right away.

Overall, I think that RSS is a great internet tool for the classroom and hope to find more great sites like these through using RSS.

1 comment:

StephE said...

Lindsey --

The "Teaching Tips" site regarding blogging was very useful. Another site that may be useful regarding blogging is www.teach42.com, which addresses 30 Days to Being a Better Blogger. I didn't think it would be useufl; however, I disagree with my prediction. I think this site would be very useful regarding the set-up of a blog in a classroom. Overall, you included resourceful sites in your post.

-Steph