Sunday, November 9, 2008

Wiki Contribution

This week I had my first experience contributing to a wiki. I contributed to a wiki that contained techniques for cooperative learning groups. I was a little weary of adding to a wiki but once I found more wikis about educational topics, I felt more at home.

This wiki lists and describes grouping techniques in the classroom including strategies such as think-pair-share, roundtable, numbered heads together, and send a problem. Then in the discussion, other teachers add discussion about the strategies, what works, and variations of the strategies. I added a round table alternative to the site.

My contribution was as follows:
"I use the round table method in my math classroom. However, I change is so that within each group, each desk has a math problem taped to the desk. Students then rotate through the seats in the group until they have solved each problem. Also, I have each student solve the problem at the BOTTOM of the page. Then when they are ready to rotate, they fold the page so that their solution is covered. At the end, each group is assigned a problem and will analyze all of the solutions from one of the math problems. Lastly I have students present the problem and solutions along with common misconceptions or mistakes that were made in solving the problem. After using this method a 2-3 times through different lessons, students were more and more accurate (less computation errors) because they knew their peers would be evaluating it."

I hope that more educators visit and add to this wiki so that teachers can have more and more grouping strategies to pull from!

No comments: